Headmaster, Mr Chris Staley, said: “This has been a gratifying year for GCSEs at Wisbech Grammar School considering the curriculum changes, the move to the new 9-1 and more rigorous grading system. Once again, we are well ahead of the National pass rates overall and at the top end. This is especially pleasing given many of our papers are the more challenging IGCSE qualification. I am incredibly pleased by their achievements, the dedication of the staff and last, but by no means least, the support from parents/guardians.
- 50% of the year group achieving top grades in their examinations (A* to B or 9 to 6) which is the same figure as last year’s cohort
- 91% of pupils achieving 9-4 in both English and Maths
- An overall pass rate of 90% (pupils achieving A* to C or 9 to 4)
These results demonstrate that through inspiring teaching, tailoring learning to individual pupil needs, great progress can be made. Many pupils achieved results they would not have thought possible when we began our learning journey. I am proud to of everyone associated with these results.”
5th Form pupil, James Pearson (Hunstanton) achieved eight 9s and one A* and commented:
“I am really thrilled with my GCSE results, and these results reflect all of my hard work and determination and time spent studying with the support of the teachers at WGS. My advice to others who will be taking their exams next year is to stay focused, work hard and ensure you have the support of family and teachers. I am excited about my future as I will be studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level.
Just a few fantastic results include:
- Hannah Lemmon (March): One 9 in Physical Education, an A* in Geography and 8s across the Sciences and Maths.
- Molly Sears (Manea): One 9 in Maths, an A in French, and 8s and 7s across the Sciences.
- Sanket Goni (King’s Lynn): One 9 in Extended Biology, A* in Geography and German and 8s across the other Sciences, Maths and English.
- Harry Sayer (Wisbech): An A in Geography and 8s across Maths and the three Sciences
- Isabella Oldershaw-Ellis (Spalding): One 9 in Physical Education, an A in Geography, an 8 in History and 7s in the Sciences and Maths
- Eleanor Sloan (Wisbech): two 9s in Drama and Religious Education, an A in Spanish, and an 8 in English.