Supporting EAL at Wisbech Grammar School
We endeavour to support all children and understand the need to provide additional support and guidance for our pupils who have English as an Additional Language. We provide opportunities for EAL (domestic) pupils to develop and use English as follows:
· A welcoming environment in which children can feel confident and can contribute in English
· Effective models of spoken and written English within the class and School in general
· Differentiated activities and resources within the classroom, as necessary
Our international pupils follow a personalised timetable with further opportunities to develop their English:
· International pupils’ maths and English are assessed before entry, and a further English assessment is taken when they start at Wisbech Grammar School.
· Support in English as an Additional Language (EAL) and English for Academic Purposes (EAP) is provided at a level appropriate to each pupil’s needs.
· Progress is monitored and reported in the same manner as other pupils for international pupils studying A-level and GCSE.
· For International Pupils studying the Pre-A-level course, they have a report focusing on other key areas such as engagement in class.
· Pupils generally follow a reduced number of academic options to allow time for this additional English support. Pupils entering pre-A Level study GCSE subjects, but may not sit exams. Each pupil’s programme is considered individually.
It is also important that our international pupils are fully embedded into the WGS community and are able to embrace all the opportunities that the school has to offer.