One of the oldest schools in the country, Wisbech Grammar School was founded in 1379 by the Guild of the Holy Trinity. For more than six hundred years the School has played its part in the life of the town, and its presence was the vital factor in the granting in 1549 of a Charter for Wisbech.
The first scholars met in 1379 in a small room over the south porch of the Church of St Peter and St Paul. The School has occupied a number of sites in the town, but by 1898 it was located on the South Brink of the River Nene. In 1905 Wisbech High School was established to provide the same educational opportunities for girls as the Grammar School did for boys. That School occupied Harecroft House on the North Brink, formerly a home of the Peckover family.
The two Schools developed concurrently until 1970 when they were amalgamated. The boys moved across the river to share extended premises on the North Brink, and the new School has continued to build upon the traditions of both former establishments.
Expansion has necessitated extensive development, and the 1991 major extension added 19 classrooms, four laboratories, two computer rooms, a sports hall, assembly hall/theatre and library. Since then the technology department has been extended and a new sports pavilion completed in 1993.
A £1M performing arts centre was completed in 2003 with extensive facilities for English, Drama and Music teaching. In addition to the all weather astroturf pitch, a second astro facility of the more advanced sand dressed construction was completed in the same year.
A new hall and two more classrooms have been constructed for the expanding Preparatory School, which takes its name from Magdalene College. The Cambridge college has enjoyed a close connection with the School for over 350 years and the master and fellows appoint two of their number to the governing body.
A new 6th Form centre, the Hazel Centre, opened in 2010 and in 2015 our stunning £2M refectory was launched. The refectory is named ‘Skelton Hall’ in honour of Robert Skelton MA, CEng, FIChemE, FNucI, MI MechE.
Continuing the development of our campus, we have a brand new Performing Arts studio and classroom which opened in 2017 and the amalgamation of two reception entrances into one, and our netball teams are benefitting from the newly installed state of the art netball courts.
Our newest development is the opening of our Kindergarten in September 2018 and the redesign of Reception Class and other Prep rooms across Magdalene House bringing the spaces up to date with the most modern technology available.