Personalised progress is at the heart of our teaching and learning at Wisbech Grammar School. All staff are accountable for the development of their pupils but we recognise that some pupils need extra support to overcome certain difficulties.
Equally, we respect that parents have key knowledge and experience to contribute to the shared view of their child’s needs and the best ways of offering support. We ensure that all parents of children with specific learning difficulties play an active and valued role in their child’s education. The Learning Support Department provides:
- screening and/or full assessments for Dyslexia
- links to other education professionals who can provide assessments for Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, ASD, ADD/ADHD, SLCN
- assessments for access arrangements in GCSE, IGCSE and GCE exams
- a flexible approach to timetabling for those pupils who may need to concentrate on a core of subjects
- 1:1 or small group literacy or study skills lessons with a qualified SpLD teacher, offered on a withdrawal basis or after school
- LSA support in some class lessons in the Senior School
We ensure that all staff are aware of those pupils who have specific learning needs and how they can be supported. Pupil progress is regularly monitored to inform planning and teaching, and pupils are encouraged to contribute to the assessment and review of their own learning needs. Staff receive regular training, teaching advice and strategies in the area of SEND.
Please note assessments and 1:1 lessons incur an extra fee.
If you require further information please contact the Learning Support Team on 01945 583631 ext. 239
Heads of Departments:
Mrs Claire Harding, PGDip, AMBDA, MDG
Head of Learning Support (Prep School)
Dr Emma Stanley-Isaac, BSc, Ph.D, NASENCo
Head of Learning Support (Senior School)
Our Learning Support Assistants are:
- Mr Freddie Whatling
- Mrs Michelle Peukert
- Mrs Christian Ayling
- Miss Emma Brown