Wisbech Grammar School was founded in 1379 by the Guild of the Holy Trinity and is thus one of the oldest schools in the country. Its origins are enshrined in the school badge. For more than six hundred years the school has played its part in the life of the town, and its presence was the vital factor in the granting in 1549 of a Charter for Wisbech.
The first scholars met in 1379 in a small room over the south porch of the Church of St Peter and St Paul. The school has occupied a number of sites in the town, but by 1898 it was located in premises on the South Brink of the River Nene. In 1905 Wisbech High School was established in Harecroft House on the North Brink, formerly a home of the Peckover family. The High School provided the same educational opportunities for girls that the Grammar School offered to boys.
For sixty-five years the two schools developed along parallel lines and in 1970 they were amalgamated. The boys moved across the river to share extended premises on the North Brink, and the new school has continued to build upon the traditions of both former establishments.
On 12 January 1983 the Secretary of State for Education and Science granted Independent Status for the school with effect from 1 September 1983. When independence was regained a decision was taken by the Governors to increase the size of the school roll. The number of pupils has risen from 400 to nearly 600 and includes approximately 150 in the sixth form.
The expansion of the school necessitated extensive development of the facilities, and the 1991 major extension added 19 classrooms, four laboratories, two computer rooms, a sports hall, assembly hall/theatre and library. Since then the technology department has been extended and a new sports pavilion was completed in 1993.
A £1M performing arts centre was completed in April 2003 with extensive facilities for English and music teaching, drama and music technology. In addition to the all weather astro turf pitch, adjacent to the School fields which is already used extensively by our pupils for hockey, a second astro facility of the more advanced sand dressed construction was completed in the same year.
A new hall and two more classrooms have been constructed for the rapidy expanding preparatory school, which takes its name from Magdalene College. The Cambridge college has enjoyed a close connection with the Grammar School for over 350 years and the master and fellows appoint two of their number to the governing body. Junior pupils also enjoy the extensive benefits of the senior school facilities and teaching expertise. The latest addition to the campus, a new sixth form centre, opened in 2010.